Friday, March 18, 2005

Prader-Willi

I saw a show tonight on Prader-Willi Syndrome. It's a rare disease that basically damages the part of the brain that lets you know you're full. Without supervision, you literally eat yourself to death. I've heard of it before, but never saw or read anything extensive about it. Anyway, it was very depressing. It's one of those things that makes me wonder.. does someone or something not want us around? I'd like to believe there's a reason for everything, but other times I think existence is all just a big, sick joke. What could possibly be the reason for a disease which takes away the one thing that makes us human; our freewill? Technically, those with PWS are ABLE to make their own decisions, but the decisions they make regarding food are too dangerous to be made alone. So someone has to watch them every minute of their life. Imagine truly believing that you are starving to death, but having your loved ones tell you that you aren't. Of course, in your mind you know they're right, but that doesn't change the way you feel. I guess in a way a lot of people have what could be considered "PWS of the soul." Many people need guidance or they're completely lost. That's my opinion of most religions. Whether or not stories of God, Jesus, the Bible, the Koran, Buddha, etc. were made up doesn't matter. It's like Santa Claus is for children. It's NEEDED, for most people. Gives them hope when they otherwise wouldn't have any. One of my favorite songs from Screeching Weasel, "Science of Myth", has this line: "It doesn't matter if it's real or not, 'cause some things are better left without a doubt." Forget about all the corruption, evil, death and suffering that comes from organized religion (that's a whole different post), when it comes down to it, it's keeps people "good." Little kids behave all year for the promise of presents at Christmas, just like Christians behave for the promise of "heaven." Or "salvation." Another thought on religion - Have you heard of the "God Gene?" Supposedly, we "all" have a gene that makes us believe in a higher power. What I really think it is is something similar to the gene problem that causes PWS. Not saying that religious folk have a disorder or anything. Not at all. Just saying that I don't think I have in my brain any sort of small section of gray matter that tells me there must be a God. I can be at peace with myself and the world (even with many cynical views about certain aspects of it) without having to believe that it was created by some magical old guy with a beard who talks with a low, echo-y voice. (I don't NOT believe however, so for those of you who didn't go to public school, that's called agnostic). There are those in this world who pity me and this blasphemous way of thinking, but so be it. I'd rather question things until the day I die than be sure of everything and find out in the end that I'm wrong. (That last statement kinda reminds me of a certain election a number of months ago... guess I'm "wishy-washy"). If there is a heaven- Kick ass! I'm sure I won't be going, but if anyone who reads this thinks they will be (sounds like a hard place to get in, though), tell all the good guys "hi" for me. In some religious views, you only burn in hell (or purgatory) for a few thousand years, and then you have a magic "trial" or something, and get a chance to go to heaven. Sounds nice. Not probable, but nice.

Well, thanks for reading my views here. Sorry about the stream-of-consciousness style of writing I sometimes use. Must be hard to read. I'll work on that. I wish more people would blog now. I'd like to hear what some people have to say. And it's safer than person-to-person dialogue, because there are no awkward moments or disagreements (until you post comments, that is!) and what I write here will never get back to.. say.. Grandma. Her heart is too weak to hear that her lovely grandsons aren't Christians anymore. For shame!

Well, time to go to bed. Tomorrow I'm going to wake up, eat a bowl of cereal, and thank whatever my equivalent of the Lord would be that I can end with a full stomach. We don't know how great we've got it.

1 Comments:

Blogger JRamoneWI said...

Hey, Dave! It's hilarious the way you always think I won't remember you after not talking to me for a while. haha.. "tim@bordfans.com" should work. If not, I'll find out why and you can use "tjbudzis@hotmail.com". The main address on bordfans.com doesn't work yet. That might be the one you're mailing. Well, see you in hell! Or heaven. ;)

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home